TBR Lows and Highs
I’ve seen a bunch of variations on this idea, but I like this one the most. Plus I love Destiny at Howling Libraries, who created this prompt, check her out, she is amazing. I love reading her posts every week, so I finally decided to join in. I have a ridiculously long TBR and will probably concentrate more on the highs.
- Link back to the original post at Howling Libraries
- Sort your Goodreads TBR shelf by date added, ascending
- Find 5-10 (or more, if you feel ambitious!) titles to purge from your TBR (the “lows”)
- ALTERNATIVE OPTION: Find 5+ titles that are at the BOTTOM of your TBR—books you want to read someday, just not right now! (Thank you for this idea, Ari!)
- Post those 5 books in the list, with a brief explanation
- Next, sort your Goodreads TBR shelf by date added, descending
- List the last 5 (or more!) books you added to your TBR, with a synopsis or your brief summary of why you added it (the “highs”)
- I read and re read the description of this book and have no idea what it’s supposed to be about, just that it’s going to be ‘oddly chilling’. The crappy description and two reviews in 4 years add up to me tossing this one out.
- This one sounds like the main character just acts like a victim to the extreme. I will just leave the description here. Despite some decent reviews from my friends, this one has to go.
My father abandoned me when I was an infant.
My friends have turned against me.
My uncle beats me.
The most powerful people in the world want me dead.
They all have one thing in common.
They think I’m turning into a monster.
I’m starting to worry they’re right.
- I am VERY picky with steampunk novels as I feel like this genre can be done wrong so easily. But this book is also the third in a series and I haven’t read the previous two, so it really doesn’t belong on my TBR at all.
- Another novel where I have no idea what it’s about after reading the description, but it also has only 5 reviews. I’m never going to read this.
- The second book in a series I haven’t read and it also combines history with fantasy. Personally I am pretty picky when it comes to reading any type of historical fiction, and the 1500’s just bore me.
- This is an author request that I have, but I didn’t have it on my TBR for some reason. I am really excited to get to this one. I believe that this is probably a hidden gem and I can’t wait to read it.
- I was invited to read this title from the publisher via Netgalley and picked it up right away. I have been in an escape room before and LOVED the experience. I think it will be a lot of fun to read about.
- I want this book pretty badly, I requested it on Netgalley. A boarding school training kids to be assassins and spies? It sounds like an Ally Carter novel, so of course, sign me up.
- Another Netgalley title that I got approved for, this one sounds pretty different and that cover is really cool.
- I have been a big fan of Greek and Roman Mythology since all that required reading back in middle school. The main character is the daughter of Eros and it she accidentally stuck herself with an arrow. It sounds like it will be humorous with a mix of mythology.
I just want to say that I put books on my TBR at the drop of the hat. I have been doing this for 4 weeks and I haven’t even gotten through two pages of books that have been on my TBR the longest. I also add way more than 5 books a week. This is going to take me a very long time, but I had NO idea how many books that were on this list that I really will never read.
Do you want to read any of these titles? Have you already read some of them? Are there any that you’re going to add to your TBR now? Are there any titles that are on my low list that I should keep? Do you have a never ending TBR mountain as well? Don’t forget to comment below!